The Rice County Highway Department’s construction season is under way. This year’s projects include the following:
- CSAH No. 46 (Bagley Ave) – Continuation of the 2020 reconstruction of 2.6 miles of CSAH No. 46 from the roundabout at CSAH 1 to approximately 1,640’ south of MN TH No. 19. Work in 2021 includes miscellaneous grading, storm water management practices, road approach and driveway apron paving, and turf establishment. Work is anticipated to resume in mid-April, weather and conditions permitting. The road will remain open to traffic with shoulder closures and short-term flagging operations anticipated.
- CSAH No. 6 (45th St W, 50th St W, Elmore Ave) – Mill, reclamation and bituminous surfacing, shoulder paving and pavement markings on approximately 8.8 miles between the LeSueur County line and CSAH No. 3 (40th St W). The roadway will be open to traffic, however, single lane closures and travel delay should be expected. A construction start date has yet to be determined. Work is anticipated to be complete in September.
- CSAH No. 27 (Nerstrand Blvd), CSAH No. 34 (Clearwater Trl), & CSAH No. 42 (Lamb/Kane Ave)– Bituminous overlay of CSAH No. 27 from CSAH No. 20 to CSAH No. 23, CSAH No. 34 from CSAH No. 1 to MN TH No. 19, and CSAH No. 42 from CSAH No. 31 to MN TH No. 19. The roadway will be open to traffic, however single lane closures and travel delay should be expected. A construction start date has yet to be determined. Work is anticipated to be complete in September.
- CR No. 80 (Jacobs Ave) – Bridge No. 4361 replacement over County Ditch No. 12 and Bridge No. 66501 replacement over unnamed stream. The bridges sites are located approximately 1.5 miles south of MN TH No. 60 and 2.5 miles south of MN TH No. 60, respectively. The road will be closed at each site as work occurs and a detour route posted. Work on the replacement of Bridge No. 4361 is underway. Completion of both bridges is anticipated in late July.
- CR No. 90 (255th St E) – Culvert 66J24 replacement over unnamed stream and located 925’ east of Irwin Ave. The road will be closed and a detour route will be posted. A construction start date has yet to be determined. Work is anticipated to be complete in October.
- 230th St E – Culvert 88059 replacement over unnamed stream and located 0.9 miles east of CSAH No. 23 (Gates Ave) in Richland Township. The road will be closed during construction. Construction is anticipated to begin on or after August 1st and be completed in mid-September.
- CR No. 98 (270th St E) – Bridge No. 74525 replacement over Rush Creek and located approximately 1.5 miles east of CSAH No. 21. Steele County is the lead agency for this project. The road will be closed and a detour route posted. Construction is anticipated to begin in June.
- Culvert Replacements & Rehabilitation on CR No. 46 (Hazelwood Ave), CSAH No. 3 (40th St W), CSAH No. 5 (Dent Ave), CSAH No. 17 (Dalton Ave), CSAH No. 20 (Cannon City Blvd), CSAH No. 38 (Cedar Lake Blvd), and CR No. 52 (Jackson Ave)– Replace or rehabilitate existing culverts for future pavement resurfacing projects or maintenance needs. Daily road closures, travel delays and the use of alternate routes should be expected. Work scheduled to begin in April and be completed in September.
- Pavement overlays and patching, miscellaneous culvert replacements, pavement striping, pavement crack sealing and other maintenance projects requiring temporary road closures at various locations throughout the County are planned for the duration of the construction season.
A construction project location map is available on the Rice County website at:
Dennis Luebbe, Rice County Engineer, (507) 332-6110
Sara Folsted, Rice County Administrator, (507) 332-6121