The Environmental Health division administers the Rice County Sewage and Wastewater Treatment Ordinance, which involves reviewing individual and community wastewater treatment system designs, issuing permits for those systems and inspecting the installation of the systems to ensure code requirements are met.
The Environmental Health division also becomes involved in:
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Grant Programs
- Public Health Nuisance Complaints
- Solid Waste Issues, Air Quality Issues
- Water Quality Issues
Rice County residents that are looking to obtain a water test kit are advised to order online directly from the Olmsted County website.
Please Note: There is an option to mail your sample back to the lab via UPS, but with COVID-19 there have been disruptions with shipping times, and if the kit is delayed it may exceed the required holding times and be rejected. It is important that samples are received within 28 hours of being collected. Because of this, the lab advises that collected samples be dropped off.
Please email the Southeastern Minnesota Water Analysis Laboratory at Email or call 507-328-7495 if you have questions regarding water testing, how to receive a kit, and/or how to return a test kit.
For questions or concerns relating to Environmental Health, please contact Marilee DeGroot, 507-332-6170 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MPCA Septic Compliance Inspection Form (PDF)
- Holding Tank Pumping and Disposal Contract (PDF)
- MPCA Tank Integrity Form (PDF)
- Rice County (optional) Pumping Certificate Form (PDF)
- Septic Permit Application (PDF)
- Septic Setbacks Form (PDF)
- Septic Variance Packet (PDF)
- Sewage and Wastewater Treatment Ordinance (PDF)
- Soil Verification Form (PDF)
- Service Provider Report - Maintenance Monitoring (PDF)
- Septic System Abandonment Reporting Form (PDF)
- MPCA Sewage Tank Maintenance Form